Gas safety certificate – Isle of Man

Do you need a gas safety certificate?

Book an appointment for a gas safety certificate here or call Stephen on (07624) 252000 to arrange an appointment. Pipeline Plumbing issue gas safety certificates in the Isle of Man (landlords gas safety certificate or CP12) after an inspection of the gas meter, appliances and pipework.

Gas safety certificate Isle of Man

Gas safety certificate Isle of Man

Do you need a gas safety certificate to sell a house?

The sort answer is Yes you can sell your house without a gas safety certificate, as it is not a legal requirement. That being said as the owner of a gas appliance, it is highly recommended you should have an annual gas safety inspection.

The process of selling a house involves a lot of paperwork, and some of the most important is ensuring you have the correct certificates. This article focuses specifically on gas safety certificates, so read on to find out what they are, when you need one, and what role these have in the sale of a house. 

What is a gas safety certificate?

The gas safety certificate, also known as a ‘landlord’s gas safety check’, is required by law for all properties used for accommodation in the UK that contain appliances using gas. The safety certificates are regulated by the Gas Safety Regulations of 1998, which also require all gas appliances to be checked annually.

When do I need a gas safety certificate?

To ensure everything is safe and well, it is highly recommended, but not law, that every homeowner that has gas appliances in their property gets a gas safety certificate. In contrast, the law demands that all landlords get a new gas safety check every year for any properties they are renting out.

What does an up to date gas safety certificate prevent?

Having a gas safety certificate provides protection from two potentially deadly problems caused by having gas pipes and appliances:

1) Gas Leaks

If your property suffers a gas leak, it could cause an explosion or fire. To prevent this, a gas engineer will inspect the pipework around your property. They will perform a visual test of the condition of the pipes, and a test on their tightness. This will ensure there are no leaks anywhere, and this is perhaps the most important part of the gas safety check.

2) Carbon monoxide poisoning

A gas safety engineer will also check that there is no carbon monoxide present in your pipes. This is essential, as the gas is impossible to see, smell or taste, which makes it very dangerous as it is difficult to detect whether or not it is present. Additionally, it is impossible for you to know if any of your gas pipes or appliances are leaking carbon monoxide. If they are, this poses a significant risk to your, your family, any other occupants or tenants who rent your property.

The yearly gas safety inspections will ensure that your property is not suffering either gas leaks or from the presence of carbon monoxide.

As the gas safety check only happens every twelve months, it is a good idea to fit carbon monoxide detectors in your property, as they will alert you if the gas is present.

Who can issue a gas safety certificate?

The only people who can legally carry out a gas safety check are registered gas safety engineers. They must be a member of a company recognised by the Health and Safety Executive. All the gas safety engineers who have been certified by their regulatory body are listed on the Gas Safety Register. It is essential that you have your gas safety certificate issues by someone who is on the checklist, to ensure it complies with all laws and regulations.

Do I need a gas boiler safety certificate to be able to sell my house?

If your property has a gas boiler, you do not need a safety certificate for it to be able to sell your house. Despite this, it is highly recommended that you have safety checks and yearly inspections carried out to ensure everything is safe. Having up to date certificates can help when marketing your house, as potential buyer will find a safe property a more attractive proposition.

However, if you own a property that has a gas boiler and you are intending to rent it out, you will need a gas boiler safety certificate before it is legal for you to have tenants occupying the property.

What happens if I don’t have a gas safety certificate?

If you are a homeowner and choose not to have a gas safety certificate, the law will not force you to have one. However, you could be putting yourself, your family and any other regular occupants of your house at risk if anything is unsafe with your gas appliances or supply. In contrast, if you are a landlord, failure to have a gas safety certificate for your properties is putting your tenants at risk and also breaking the law.

What are the penalties for not having a gas safety certificate?

Usually, the penalty for not having a gas safety certificate is a large fine. However, harsher penalties can go as far as imprisonment or invalidating your insurance. If there is an explosion or fire caused by unsafe gas pipes or appliances, and you hadn’t carried out a gas safety check for the property, you could be charged for manslaughter if anyone is killed in the accident. A death or injury caused in this way could see you hit with a massive bill for compensation.

Overall, is it possible to sell your house without a gas safety certificate? Yes, you can, as the law does not demand you have one. Nevertheless, it is strongly recommended that you have yearly gas inspections if your property uses gas appliances. If you rent out a property, then by law it must have a gas safety certificate renewed every year. This prevents both you and your tenants from suffering any unwanted danger or costs.

The cost of having your property properly inspected is not very high, so it is definitely worthwhile if you are planning to sell your home, even if the law does not demand it. Being able to definitely prove your property is safe will help market it, and any advantage is worth having in the competitive property buying and selling industry.

What are the responsibilities for landlords regarding gas safety certificates in the Isle of Man ?

Gas safety for landlords  – As a landlord in the Isle of Man it is your legal responsibility to ensure your tenants are living in a safe environment.  Manx law states an annual gas safety check is required and a certificate will need to be given to tenants within 28 days of completion. Gas safety records for each property need to be kept for a minimum of 2 years.

Gas Safety for tenants – Faulty gas appliances in your home can be very dangerous for you and your families health. So it’s important for your landlord to organise an annual gas safety check. Gas fires, boilers and hobs all need to be checked for any potential problems which may cause incomplete combustion of the gas leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas safety certificates ensure landlords are complying with the “The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.  Gas safety certificate Isle of Man.  Manufacturers of gas appliances recommend that they should be inspected annually.  The certificate will be issued by one of Pipeline Plumbing’s gas safe registered engineers.  Pipeline Plumbing’s gas safe registration number is 552670. And can be found on the register here:

What can you do today to make your home gas safe?

• Recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

• Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.

• Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm for your home and make sure it is located near to your gas appliances in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidance. Carbon monoxide can leak from appliances and kill.

• Only use gas appliances for their intended purpose e.g. don’t use your oven to heat the room.

• Always ensure there is enough ventilation for your gas appliances to allow them to burn correctly and make sure you are not blocking any air vents that provide an air supply to the gas appliance.